Sunday, January 4, 2009

Here we go ...

The holiday season is, officially, over.

OK, so it's been over for three days. But really, when New Year's Day falls on a Thursday, can you really expect to begin your resolutions that or the next, then go into the weekend? I can't -- resolutions for me always start best with the start of a week, so Monday has always been Day One.

This year's Day One is tomorrow. That's not to say I haven't been gearing up for it: I went in to work out yesterday morning and it wasn't even my day to work (a habit I'd fallen out of in the last several months); I had breakfast -- cereal and a half a grapefruit -- both yesterday and today, in an effort to work with that tried-and-true belief that it really is the most important meal of the day; I've done a lot of standing and walking rather than sitting.

There is no pressure for me this year. No wedding, no reunion, no graduation. This is something I'm doing for me -- only me. I had, for some time, changed my habits and had done very well. Then I re-introduced myself to an old friend -- cigarettes, for three years. When I gave those up, despite my efforts to bust the quit-smoking-gain-weight pattern, I gained weight. Not a lot, but enough. Enough to take me two sizes bigger than when I was smoking, but not nearly enough to put me back in the size 24s I wore before my divorce.

They say this is the Year of Change, so I'm hopping on that bandwagon. Starting with Day One.

No comments: